As you drive west along Route 208/287 approaching the Ramapo River, it is hard to imagine that 300 years ago this interstate highway may have been a quiet tree-lined path in a little valley used by the Minsi Indians of the Lenni Lenape tribe. The first Dutch settlers, who were stopped by the Ramapo River at the end of the path that is now Franklin Avenue, became so enamored of the area that they bought some 5,500 acres of it. In 1870 the town's name was changed from "The Ponds" to Oakland. After World War II, Oakland began its rapid development of permanent residents as commuting time to work became less and country living became more desirable. In the 1950's, Oakland was a non-farm community earning its title as “The Valley of Homes”. (NJMLS)
The data relating to the real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange Program of the NJMLS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than the publisher of this website are marked with the Internet Data Exchange logo and information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Some properties listed with the participating brokers do not appear on this website at the request of the seller. Listings of brokers that do not participate in Internet Data Exchange do not appear on this website. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Source: New Jersey Multiple Listing Service, Inc. 2018 New Jersey Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated:18th January, 2019 10:10 AM.